Vacancy: R&D VR Software Engineer
Are you a masters graduate who wants to continue their study and become a Professional Doctorate in Engineering (PDEng) while working as an R&D VR software engineer?
Sorama and the Building Acoustics group within the Department of Built Environment of Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e) are seeking to hire an outstanding PDEng candidate within the field of Acoustic Virtual Reality and Software Engineering.
About the Project
Noise is the second largest harmful environmental factor to human beings in Europe and claims 1.6 million healthy life years each year, mainly due to stress and sleep disturbances. VIPNOM focuses on the development of advanced noise measurement methods and acoustic virtual reality.
To effectively combat unwanted noise, it is important to first be able to measure it. Currently, noise is measured by placing microphones at specific locations and those measurements made are applicable for those locations only. VIPNOM advocates the use of microphone arrays at central locations, where noise levels at several other locations can also be measured simultaneously, such as at the balconies of an apartment building next to a noisy road, or across a large area of the city center.
In order to accurately measure noise levels, VIPNOM will further develop, optimize and implement the methods that are developed in the ZERO NWO project. The resulting algorithms will be tested in the living labs: Stratumseind, Strijp-S, and the Philips Stadium. Additionally, the same techniques will also be applied in an acoustic virtual reality to allow interested parties (such as citizens and policy officers) to auralize and experience noise beyond just decibel values on a written report.
This project is funded by Eindhoven Engine.
About the Position
We are looking for one PDEng candidate who will strengthen the Sorama team. During the project the candidate is encouraged to spend part of their work at Eindhoven Engine as well as the TU/e. The position focuses on the development and implementation of an acoustic virtual reality system incorporating acoustic signal processing algorithms developed by the other PDEngs in VIPNOM. The ideal candidate is interested (or already have experience) in software development related to virtual reality (e.g. Unity). He or she should expect and succeed in tasks like setting up, maintaining, documenting and optimizing a virtual reality platform, as well as implementing prototype research codes (or production codes). The actual scope will be personalized based on the profile of the candidate.
The candidate will also be registered at TU/e and complete training courses related to the project. Program graduates will be awarded a certified diploma and the degree “Professional Doctorate in Engineering” (PDEng).
Building Acoustics group at TU/e and Sorama
Building Acoustics (BA) is the acoustics research group at Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e). The group strives to contribute to the reduction of adverse health effects caused by human-induced noise and to promote positively perceived sound environments. The research in the group revolves around developing computational and experimental methods for acoustics in the built environment, with research areas on acoustics materials, environmental acoustics, acoustic virtual reality, and the effects of the sound environment on humans.
Sorama is a highly innovative company that leads and redefines the frontiers of knowledge in acoustic imaging. This is achieved through intensive collaborations with academic partners and also relentless in-house R&D efforts, effectively bridging the gap between academic findings and industrial know-how. Sorama aims to improve the quality of life for all people, wherever they are, by providing the technology to Make Sound Insightful. Founded in 2009 as a TU/e spin-off by Rick Scholte, Sorama is one of the Netherlands’ Top 250 Growth Companies in 2021.
We are looking for excellent candidates that add value to Sorama and the Building Acoustics group with the following profile:
- Master degree (preferably in computer science, electrical engineering, software engineering or related),
- Experience in VR is strongly preferred,
- Experience in two of the followings is strongly preferred: acoustics, signal processing, software engineering/design,
- Experience in C++ and MATLAB is a plus, but not required,
- Experience in Agile, or willingness to adopt it,
- Comfortable working in a (multi-disciplinary) team,
- Driven, eager, enthusiastic, ambitious personality,
- Interested in acquiring new skills and competences,
- Live in/near Eindhoven or willing to relocate.
Appointment and salary
We offer a full-time, fixed-term, 2-year contract at Sorama including:
- Competitive salary (above VSNU CAO’s rate for a PDEng),
- Courses and training at TUe relevant to the PDEng degree,
- 25 Holiday days and the option to purchase additional days,
- Challenging work environment where you can create global impact through our unique solutions,
- Operate in a fast-growing company with good future perspectives,
- Knowledgeable and inspiring colleagues,
- Eindhoven Engine and TU/e interaction days throughout your project,
- A flexible work environment,
- Unique office location at Strijp-T, less than 5-minute walk away from the Eindhoven Strijp-S train station,
- Excellent coffee, fresh fruits, and rooftop BBQs.
Please send your CV, including a detailed curriculum vitae, a letter of motivation, a portfolio with copies of diplomas with course grades and contact information of two references, to email@example.com under the subject “PDEng position on Virtual Position Noise Measurement”.
For more information on the position, please contact dr. Jin Jack Tan firstname.lastname@example.org or call our office at +31 40 3041019.